Greetings Brothers of Sigma!
“A Brotherhood of Conscious Men Actively Serving Our Communities,” is the theme for this administration and I commit to serving as the very representation of this aim. With your continued confidence and support, as well as the assembly of a great board of leaders, we’re already on track for great success!
- Had a Dinner Meeting during the Conclave with the Regional Director’s Council requesting alignment around some key goals: membership growth, programmatic implementation, risk management training, improving chapter’s CSAF scores and champion national initiatives being executed in their Region
- Met with the Past International Presidents during the Conclave to share the role I see they can play
in utilizing their vast Sigma institutional knowledge and life experiences…asked them to be intentional
on providing mentorship to our younger Brothers and support capturing financial resources for the
long-term solvency of the Fraternity.
- Met with Bro. William Frasier during the Conclave and since to share philosophy and guidance around our current financial position as well as discussions around how we support the fraternity being financially solvent long term
- Met with Bro. Jean Lamothe during the Conclave and since discussing membership growth strategies with a focus on collegiate growth, placing a focus on chapter size growth, continual focus on Strive for 5, anti-hazing and other risk management initiatives, membership services support within the IHQ, collegiate advisor university training, MIP certification training, implementation of the new Crescent Club Development Program and the role of the International Membership Committee
- Met with Hon. Bro. Martin Currie during the Conclave and since to discuss our Risk Management strategies as we prepare for the upcoming Fall Intake Season.
- Renegotiated the exit contract for our current IED that supports him staying in the role through 12/31 as well as defining clear expectation for the remainder of his tenure.
- Setup the search committee and timeline for identifying our next International Executive Director; committee is composed of Brothers who have senior executive leadership experience, extensive fraternity experience and understand the importance of securing financial resources for the long term solvency of the fraternity, all key leadership attributes we will look for in the next IED; released the communication seeking applications for our next IED.
- Have established a weekly engagement/alignment call with the Executive Leadership Team of the International Headquarters Staff…primary objective is to validate we’re advancing the trajectory that has been established, providing the necessary support needed to achieve the desired results and assist in removing any barriers that’s preventing us from achieving our goals
- Planned an Executive Leadership Transition Meeting for August 25 at the IHQ…attendees: President/Immediate Past International President, International First Vice President transitioning with Bro. Aaron Lewis and the Membership Department, Bros. William Frasier/Charles Ellis and the Finance Team, and Bros. Edwin Miles/Charles Jones (Human Resources) meeting with the IHQ Staff
- Planned a Presidential Reception at the IHQ on August 25; invited attendees: our Zeta and Sigma chapters in the DMV, NPHC Members, our local Corporate Partners, Howard University
- Planned a Regional Director’s Retreat at the International Headquarters for August 26 focusing on Membership Growth, Programmatic Implementation, Risk Management and Membership Services
- Will have a major presence at the Congressional Black Caucus Annual Legislative Conference; planning a Brotherhood of Conscious Men panel discussion on Sigma’s proactive position on improving our communities; working to capture participation from Brothers Congressmen Elijah Cummings, Edolphous Towns, John Lewis and other participants; also planning a reception for Hon. Bro. Congressman John Lewis’ induction in the National Distinguished Service Chapter; details will be announced later
- Planning a General Board Development Retreat for September 20-24 at Howard University with live streaming being offered; goal of retreat is to have a third party strategic planner to support us developing short term and long-term strategies that support us making a difference within the experiences of our members and the communities we serve
- Planned our Fall General Board Meeting for 11/3-11/5 at the Westgate Hotel in Las Vegas, NV…
Executive Leadership Team will visit the property a day earlier to tour the property as we begin making plans for Conclave 2019.
- Coordinated an alignment conference call with the International Program Directors defining our programmatic focus areas: social injustice, economic empowerment, education and health issues…
asked them to implement pro-active programs that are long-term, sustainable, measurable impact, builds on the IAMBK 10-Point Plan; plan an impactful Sigma Day on Capitol Hill (national, state, local and school boards), encourage chapters to record participation via PIA and use creative strategies to drive chapter engagement
- Coordinated an alignment conference call with the International Director of Sigma Beta Club, Bro. Jenabu Williams…identifying the Sigma Beta Club as the centerpiece of our programmatic focus area; capturing a quick SWOT analysis on the state of SBC, encourage Founder/Diamond chapters who don’t have a SBC club to start one, identify alumni chapters who have a fraternity house to pilot a Parlette Moore Sigma Beta Club Academy (new initiative); goal is to implement pro-active programs that are long-term, sustainable, with measurable impact that supports the Rise and Thunder Curriculum
- Have appointed 98% of my cabinet with unanimous approval being provided by the General Board…
have stated we will need ALL Brothers engaged in shaping the future of Sigma, with that we will seek Brothers to serve on standing committees as well as some special committees and advisory groups: development committee, financial investment committee, military service committee, health advisory group, law enforcement advisory group
- Have appointed a Sigma Executive Leadership Council whose primary role is to identify Brothers who are Senior Executives within Fortune 500 Corporations, Regional Corporations, Government, Education, or Non-Profits that can support our collegians and young alumni getting internships and employment opportunities; will also work to secure financial resources for the Fraternity; Sigma will become intentional in supporting our collegians getting employment upon graduation
- Appointed Dr. Ernie Hughes, Fundraising Consultant, Director of Development, will work with our two existing foundations to restructure them that will support corporations, government, large non-profits, and Brothers being able to invest in Sigma
- Met with Bro. Rafael Matos, Director of the Sigma Leadership Academy, to get aligned around the goals of SLA: provide personal development, professional development and Sigma leadership development, introduce a mentoring program for our collegians, support the RDC on all of their learning lab needs; introducing two new leadership programs: Leadership Sigma (a sigma leadership development training program) and Sigma Talks (Sigma influencers providing motivational insight on how they became successful)
- Met with the International Collegiate Leadership Team to share the support they will receive from the Sigma Leadership Academy, Leadership Sigma and Sigma Talk, Sigma Professional Advisors Council, Collegiate Advisors University, advised them they will play a role in developing the manual for the approved Crescent Club Development Program; establishing a partnership with the National Urban League’s Young Professionals, the networking arm of NULYP, that will provide networking opportunities for our collegians and young alumni
- Met with Bro. Kevin Davis, Chairman of our Publicity Committee to get aligned around the goals of the committee; planning to transition away from publicity (IHQ Communication’s Team owns publicity) and more towards engaging and branding; Branding strategy focus areas: intellectual property (logos, identifiers, program names), education (develop training modules for webinars, regional conferences, and Conclave), enforcement (develop SOP for handling reported general brand violations), positive reinforcement (showcase great visual examples of brothers/chapters promoting the fraternity) and setting up a Branding Council, cross-functional group of Brothers who have a vested interest in protecting our brand
- Participated in a community service project with Epsilon Epsilon Sigma chapter and their Sigma Beta Club members where we bagged 8100 pounds of rice that equaled 6,231 meals for people in need within the metro-Seattle area.